Who we are
Welcome to our website, https://www.thepatientforum.com. We respect your privacy and are committed to protecting any personal information you share with us.
We love hearing from our visitors and encourage you to leave comments on our site. When you do, we collect the data you provide in the comments form, including your IP address and browser user agent string, to help us prevent spam.
In addition, we may use an anonymized string created from your email address (called a hash) to check if you’re using Gravatar. If you are, your profile picture may be visible to the public along with your comment.
If you upload images to our site, please avoid images that have embedded location data (EXIF GPS). Downloading and extracting location data from images on our website is possible for visitors.
When you visit our login page, we will set a temporary cookie to check if your browser accepts cookies. No personal data is collected, and the cookie is discarded when you close your browser.
If you log in, we will set several cookies to save your login information and screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days, and screen option cookies last for a year. If you select “Remember Me,” your login will persist for two weeks. When you log out, login cookies will be removed.
If you edit or publish an article, an additional cookie will be saved in your browser. This cookie includes no personal data and simply indicates the post ID of the article you edited. It expires after one day.
Who we share your data with
We do not share your personal information with third parties unless required by law or necessary to protect our rights, property, or safety.
If you request a password reset, your IP address will be included in the reset email.
Where your data is sent
Visitor comments may be checked through an automated spam detection service.
Embedded content from other websites
Who we share your data with
We value your privacy and do not share your personal information with any third parties, except in the following circumstances:
- If you request a password reset, your IP address will be included in the reset email.
- If we are required to do so by law, or if we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud, or respond to a government request.
How long we retain your data
We retain your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected. If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
For users that register on our website (if any), we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
What rights you have over your data
As an individual, you have certain rights over your personal data, which include:
- The right to be informed about how your personal data is being used
- The right to access the personal data we hold about you
- The right to request that we correct any inaccuracies in the personal data we hold about you
- The right to request that we erase your personal data in certain circumstances
- The right to object to the processing of your personal data in certain circumstances
- The right to request that we restrict the processing of your personal data in certain circumstances
- The right to receive a copy of your personal data in a structured, commonly used, and machine-readable format
If you have an account on this site, or have left comments, you can exercise these rights by contacting us using the contact details provided below.